What is inside a flower?
Ever wondered what is inside a flower? Take a look at flowers outside in your garden or local area and then make a large model at home. You can use anything you can find in your house.
i) Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees.
ii) Identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees.
- Ask simple questions and recognise that they can be answered in different ways.
- Observe closely, using simple equipment.
- Perform simple tests.
- Identify and classify.
- Use their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Gather and record data to help answer questions.
Extended Writing Opportunities
Labels, lists and signs: Make a large model of the inside of a flower and label the main parts.
Information text: Explain the main parts of a flower and their purpose.
You Will Need
- Flower Song
- Ideas for junk flowers
- Cut flowers
- Flowers from the playground
- Magnifying glasses
- Sketch books
- Chopping boards
- White paper
- Lots of junk modelling materials (tubes, boxes, cardboard, pipe cleaners, tape, etc.)
Planning and Activities
- Find flowering plants and carefully examine them with a magnifying glass. Sketch and photograph them.
- Take a flowering plant to pieces and label the parts.
- Model a flowering plant using junk modelling materials.
- Understand the basic structure of a flower and the basic function of the main parts.
- Carefully examine flowers with a magnifying glass and become familiar with the inside of a flower.
- Make a large model of the inside of a flower using junk modelling materials.
- Understand the basic structure of a flowering plant and the basic function of the main parts.
Investigation - exploring, researching and analysing secondary sources
Find flowers outside in the playground and carefully examine them with a magnifying glass. Sketch and photograph them.
Make a large model of the inside of a flower using junk modelling materials.
Plant, leaf, grow, deciduous, evergreen, roots, stem, leaves, flower