Welcome to Miss Miller's Year 6 class
Welcome to Year 6, 2021-2022
I hope you all had a fantastic summer and are looking forward to a more 'normal' year, fingers crossed! Year 6 is a very challenging and rewarding year for all involved so I am hoping to see great determination from the start and I am sure we will have lots of fun along the way!
Our first humanities topics this autumn term are The Windrush and a geographical comparison study of the UK, Europe and North America. In science, we will be learning about light.
Our PE days are exactly the same as last year - each Monday and Thursday - and the children should ensure their school PE kit is in school on these days. Kit can be left in school for up to a half term.
As a reminder, school P.E. kit includes a white or red plain T-shirt (not the polo shirt worn at school all day , for hygiene reasons), black or blue shorts (or tracksuit / jogging bottoms in colder weather) and trainers. No jewellery should be worn. P.E. is part of the curriculum and it is important for children to remember to come ready in their P.E. kit on the appropriate day. In PE this term we are focusing on game skills, concentrating on netball and football (which will be taught by Balla each Thursday).
Homework: This half term, Year 6 will read nightly, reading each night for just 20 minutes is proven to impact attainment massively - it really is an important part of homework and we do ask that parents actively engage with their child's reading to help support them. The children should also practise their spellings and ensure they can confidently recall times tables facts. In year 6 we encourage the children to be independent and responsible for the completion and handing in of their homework – this is great preparation for secondary school life. New spelling lists will be available on a Friday and will need to be completed by the following Thursday. Links for Spelling Shed and TT Rockstars are at the bottom of the page. Their logins are recorded in their homework diaries as reminders.
- Children should arrive at school between 08:45am and 09:00am at our classroom outside entrance. Please avoid being early to avoid queues on the road
- We will finish school promptly at 3:15pm and will come out of the usual exit on to the top playgrounds- please maintain social distancing while waiting
- EVERY CHILD should have a WATER bottle in school each day; these can filled in classrooms should they need more. Juice is only allowed with packed lunches. Healthy snacks are encouraged for break times.
- Having a coat in school each day is useful for our very changeable and unpredictable weather!
- Have PE kit in school every Monday and Thursday
The best ways to contact me are via my school email, through Mrs Graham in the office or a note sent in with your child in their homework diary etc.
Dates for your diary:
30th September Year 5 & 6 singing concert at WHS (details TBC)
19th - 22nd October Hawse End residential
25th - 29th October HALF TERM
16th December Last day of term
5th January Back to school
I am looking forward to a fabulous year ahead!